Attribution

Important note: All the posts on this blog were written by Bob Harwood (AKA 'zendancer') on the forum spiritualteachers.proboards.com. I have merely reposted a collection of them in blog format for the convenience of seekers. Some very small mods were made on occasion to make posts readable outside of the forum setting they were made in.

I never had much interest in traditional Buddhist teachings.

Ha ha. The four noble truths were important to the Buddha and central to SOME Buddhist traditions, but during ten years of going to Zen retreats and interacting with a lot of Zen teachers I don't remember the subject of suffering or the four noble truths ever being discussed. Of course, Zen is sort of the black sheep of the Buddhist family because it pokes fun at most of the formal Buddhist teachings. It's attitude is more like "Words suck as a conveyor of truth," and this may be a good example of that. LOL.

If a ZM asked me, "What is suffering?" I wouldn't say, "It's a mental overlay." I'd say, "Aaaaaieeee!"

The phrase, "Life is suffering" doesn't hold much meaning for me, but in light of this discussion, perhaps I should amend my earlier statement. When I was lying in the hospital bed, there was no one suffering; there was only a body writhing in pain. (smile)

The word "suffer" may be one of those abstractions that is useful only when used in an extremely loose way. It reminds me of the quote by some philsospher about the word "time." He wrote, I know exactly what time is until you ask me what it is.

Bottom line? I still like this definition--"Suffering is when you feel really really bad and stuff" or something like that.