Attribution

Important note: All the posts on this blog were written by Bob Harwood (AKA 'zendancer') on the forum spiritualteachers.proboards.com. I have merely reposted a collection of them in blog format for the convenience of seekers. Some very small mods were made on occasion to make posts readable outside of the forum setting they were made in.

Technically, pain is pain

...but there are many cases where the word "pain" isn't quite sufficient to describe what's going on. I was once stuck in a hospital for a period of about 7 days flat on my back after a surgery. I have some arthritus in my lower back resulting from many years of construction, and after several days the pain caused by immobility became excruciating. I didn't want to take a painkiller for various reasons, so I lay there and suffered. At least that's the word that best describes what I experienced from my POV. I didn't have any ideas that what I was experiencing shouldn't be happening, but when pain becomes agonizing and prolonged, most of us would describe that as a form of suffering.

Psychological suffering (ie: "I shouldn't feel this way" or "this shouldn't be happening") is like adding an unnecessary layer on top of whatever is physically happening.