Attribution

Important note: All the posts on this blog were written by Bob Harwood (AKA 'zendancer') on the forum spiritualteachers.proboards.com. I have merely reposted a collection of them in blog format for the convenience of seekers. Some very small mods were made on occasion to make posts readable outside of the forum setting they were made in.

A Zen Master once asked me a koan

...which I had previously been asked by another teacher and had answered correctly. When I heard the question, however, the following thought suddenly appeared in the mind, "Koans are supposed to be answered fresh and in the moment, so how can I answer this question in a fresh way that is now appropriate in this moment? My previous answer was accepted as correct, but if I give the same answer as before, it will now be old and stale. What would a correct answer be now?" This thought so paralyzed and confused me, that I couldn't respond, and the ZM sent me away to meditate. He thought that I had not yet solved the koan. In fact, I was now dealing with a new koan of my own creation that was more difficult than the original koan! After several hours of meditating on this new koan, I saw the answer, and had to stifle the laughter that would have burst forth if I had been alone rather than sitting in a room full of silent meditators.
Even today, when I remember the confusion and paralysis I felt caused by that stupid sequence of thoughts about answering a koan freshly, it still cracks me up.

The mind is just like a tar baby. One touch and you might pull free. Two touches and you're stuck tight. Three touches and a team of horses can't pull you loose.