Attribution

Important note: All the posts on this blog were written by Bob Harwood (AKA 'zendancer') on the forum spiritualteachers.proboards.com. I have merely reposted a collection of them in blog format for the convenience of seekers. Some very small mods were made on occasion to make posts readable outside of the forum setting they were made in.

The engineering student

Yesterday a retired professor at our local university asked me to speak to an engineering student about nonduality. He came from a Muslim tradition, so I used some of Rumi's poetry (with which he was familiar) to point to the truth. Throughout our conversation he frequently interrupted me by saying, "But that contradicts what you said a few minutes ago....." Each time I would laugh and reply, "Of course! Because I'm pointing to something that includes all opposites. No matter what I say, it has to be both true and false at the same time." Ha ha.

It reminded me of the first time I was exposed to the idea of polar opposites. I was a sophomore in college taking a humanities course. The prof was explaining that you can't have good without bad, but I just couldn't grasp it. I remember thinking, "That's totally crazy!"

I had lots of fun trying to drag the engineering student into the present moment, but there was no way he was going to leave the mind behind. Here's a sample of our conversation: (he is fluent in English)

Me: Stop and be still for just a moment. What can you hear?
Student: What do you mean?
Me. What can you hear?
Student: What is the meaning?
Me: I'm asking you to just listen for moment. What can you hear with your ears?
Student: Hear what?
Me: Any sounds that you can hear.
Student: What kind of sounds?
Me: Any kind of sounds. Can you hear the hum of the refrigerator, or the birds singing outside, or the light wind, or your own heartbeat?
Student: (after thinking for a moment) Yes, I can hear those things, but why?
Me: Forget why. Can you just silently listen for a few moments to whatever you can hear?
Student: What is the meaning of this?

Ah well, just another fun day at the office.