Attribution

Important note: All the posts on this blog were written by Bob Harwood (AKA 'zendancer') on the forum spiritualteachers.proboards.com. I have merely reposted a collection of them in blog format for the convenience of seekers. Some very small mods were made on occasion to make posts readable outside of the forum setting they were made in.

Rather than ask, "What SHOULD I be doing?"

...which points toward the future, ask "What MUST I be doing this moment?" Whatever you ARE doing is what you MUST be doing, so you actually know, moment by moment, what you HAVE to be doing. Any time a "should" question arises, become aware that the mind is wandering off into an imaginary/hypothetical/speculative future. There really is no future; everything is always happening now.

I know someone who often says, wistfully and somewhat sadly, "I never found out what I wanted to do in life."

I always reply, "That's not true. You've always known EXACTLY what to do, and you've done it perfectly."

Words like "want" imply a wanter, and that's the fundamental illusion. I've suggested that he use some NLP techniques to break his habits of thought, but he doesn't have sufficient interest. Instead, he repeatedly restates the same thing because he is deeply invested in his idea.

Just the other day we were together and he said, "You always seem to know what to do, but I don't."

I laughed and said, "That's not true! You always know, through your body, EXACTLY what to do , but you imagine, through your mind, that you don't. Stop imagining, and just watch what's happening. If you see that you're walking down the street, then that's what you have to be doing. You're always doing EXACTLY what you must be doing, so stop imagining otherwise."

He then laughed at the obviousness of what I was saying, but I could see that what I had told him did not sink in. I'm sure the next time we're together he'll say, "Gosh, I wish I knew what I was supposed to be doing with my life."