Attribution

Important note: All the posts on this blog were written by Bob Harwood (AKA 'zendancer') on the forum spiritualteachers.proboards.com. I have merely reposted a collection of them in blog format for the convenience of seekers. Some very small mods were made on occasion to make posts readable outside of the forum setting they were made in.

The ordinary sage

Student: I went to visit a teacher who was amazing! She can walk on water and converse with animals. She always experiences peace and happiness. She never suffers, never has a problem, and her life is always wonderful. She never thinks and never dreams. Can you match this?

Sage: Nope. My life is pretty ordinary. When its time to eat, I eat, and when its time to sleep, I sleep. I don't perform any miracles, and I never worry about whether or not I'm peaceful, happy, or free of suffering. When I hit my finger with a hammer, I yell like anybody else, and when people around me are hurting, I often hurt with them. Sometimes I think, sometimes I dream, and sometimes I meditate, but I make no effort to attain or maintain any particular state of mind.

Hearing this, the student was very disappointed. He left, and became a disciple of the amazing teacher.